Wednesday, January 9, 2013

One Step at a Time

Today I saw a posting inquiring about what this particular group's measurable goals were for 2013.  When there were few responses, she reminded that 93% of people do not make goals and therefore fail.

Me being who I am (read: pain in the butt who just can't ignore stuff like this) responded that each time I'd made measurable goals, they get completely messed up.  It would seem that God has had a different plan than mine, no matter if I "committed it to prayer" or just went with my hunches.

Frankly, it made me mad to read that if I didn't write specific goals for that particular undertaking, I'd be a failure. 

Did your guidance counselor ask you what you wanted to be when you were out of high school (along with every other adult)?  If you went to college, it was all about preparing for your career.  I'd like to say that I've never had a specifi career path in mind.  That's a good thing, because if I was driven, having to deal with caring for a terminally ill husband would have been more difficult than it already was.

Goals are great.  I love to plan.  It's in my personality.  However, I'm now old enough to realize that not having goals, or not meeting them, does not equate with failure.  I'm not suggesting that a person shouldn't plan or have sense of what they want to achieve.  I'm just thinking that one can become a bit too compulsive as well. In fact, I'd suggest that thwarted goals and plans that land in the dust provide a better learning environment than achievement brings.

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Agree. Agree. Agree - especially with that last comment. I learn every time I fail at writing minutes. :) But I've also learned in spite of myself. P.S. I had this friend in College who like me thought finals week was a blast. Did we have our priorities wrong? Or right? :)

    ReplyDelete