Monday, December 8, 2014

What To Do With Beauty

Feast your eyes on these gorgeous kittens:
I had the pleasure of taking care of these lovelies recently and they were a joy. Not only were they a dream to look at, but they frolicked and played the same way every young and healthy kitten does.

To be honest, I like to think of myself as a mutt-girl.  Normally, I like to think I'm not one to fawn over the beauty of certain purebred dogs and cats.  But to be honest, there's something about beauty.  Maybe we can't define it, but we know a pleasing look when we see it.  And when I held these little fur balls, I sure knew it.

Our culture puts a high value on beauty.  Double that for youth.  If you have neither, some industries cruelly cull their workers of the old and homely.  "Old" and "homely" being highly subjective and mean phrases.

But being born beautiful isn't always the gift we may think desire.  Being treated differently for the sole reason that you were born with physical traits some find pleasing does not mean that the person inside is superior.  Yet, those monsters are made every day.  You know it.  You've seen it on social media.

As I get older, I find myself becoming MORE vain, not more at peace, particularly if I look at the ads in magazine.  My goodness am I inferior, they assure me.  A wonderful friend told me that she determined that while she could no longer control her outer beauty, she could control her inner beauty. 

That inspired me.  Because it is truth.  And it is the only thing that matters.

"Man looks upon the outward appearance but God looks upon the heart." 

I'm grateful God sees only what is important in our hearts.  And cultivating the beauty within, shaped by God's love itself, endures forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment