Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Dog's View of the Kennel

Often, owners want to visit the kennel with their dog before they schedule a stay. This is a very important component of choosing a quality kennel for your dog. It's very important to see where the dogs will be staying, where they will go out, and meet the person or people who will care for the dog.

I'll be the first to admit that my kennel is not fancy and doesn't look clean and tidy. I describe it as "cleanish" and "highly functional." And it is. It's easy to keep sanitary, which is extremely important for the health of the dogs.

However, when people see the concrete floor, brick walls, and pebble outside runs, it screams "austere" and maybe even "prison-like." Sure, it is not like our homes, which is where the dogs normally dwell.

But from their point of view, they have their own space, which usually has a dog bed from home in it. There's food. There's water. There's a nice person patting them on the head when they go outside and come back in several times a day.

In other words, it's a lot like home. There's even a radio playing.

A dog's needs are very simple. Yet, when we put our own ideas on what the dog experiences and sees, it is not always accurate.

This is how life can be often for us. If we put our own expectations on other people's experiences, we can't imagine they are content with their lot in life. Yet, often times, they have what they need and maybe a few perks too. In other words, they are very content.

My problem is when I put my expectations on God for what my life is supposed to be like. However, I've had to trust that God has a better idea of what my true needs are, and that these are better than my own. They are sufficient, and even better, than my own ideas and plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment