Saturday, June 19, 2010

Foster, First Dog of the Gold Coast



Foster is my Australian Cattle Dog. He is ten years old and I've owned him for nearly that long. He was first owned by one of my clients here at Good Shepherd Boarding Kennel.

When I first watched Foster as a two month old puppy, it was love at first sight. I'm not one who normally goes bananas over puppies, but Foster was different. He was in a little harness and was constantly moving. The owner picked him up by the harness and all four legs were still in motion. I was charmed.

One day I commented that if the owner ever wanted to get rid of him, I'd take him. The day after I made this statement, the owner announced she was moving and needed to find a new home for Foster, who was then known as "Bear."

I resisted for a month. I had a busy boarding kennel, a neurotic Newfoundland mix of my own, a sick husband and about five or six cats. I really didn't need a puppy. While trying to make a final decision after the owner again asked me to take the dog (before she headed to the local animal shelter), I went out to get the mail. My latest issue of a dog magazine had arrived. On the cover of it was a picture of an Australian Cattle Dog.

By the end of that day, Foster, with his new name, was running around my property as if he owned the place.

He has ruled the roost ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment