Monday, February 20, 2012

Response to Grace: What Does it Look Like?

Here's Jimmy, watching for law breakers, thieves, or anyone who might give him a treat.
When I leave the house, I tell Foster, "Guard the house."

Some dogs have jobs, dedicating themselves to protecting their homes and owners against any harm. Others seem to create more work for their owners.
Oh, hi Tilly. Fancy meeting you here.

This morning, I was working on my Bible study lesson, and it asked WHY do you serve God. Is it a sense of obligation "You gave me life, I'll write a check to a charity and let's call it even"? Is it because we are grateful for what He has? Or is it because of WHO God is - His amazing sense of presence, His love, His sacrifice? Those things only come when we understand and study who He is.

Yet today, I read a note on the passage in Luke that was about "to whom much is given, much is expected." The note said, "Grace does not erase accountability." Ouch.

In other words, God is great to forgive us, so incredibly patient with us. Yet, he expects that if we rely on that forgiveness, accept that Jesus paid the price and made us right with God, then a response must be more than "phew, got that out of the way." It is a response of action - that faith is being worked out or shown by our behavior of love for others.

What does that look like in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment