Wednesday, November 28, 2012

It Hurts, but Maybe It's Good For You

A couple of weeks ago, I took the kitten to be checked by the vet.  Twist (after Oliver Twist, the orphan) was being so good during his exam.  He purred loudly and was extremely cooperative.
One thing that needed to be done was having his blood drawn to make sure he didn't have feline leukemia (he doesn't), a common ailment among cats.  Suddenly, Twist was not so happy anymore.

"What a set of lungs!" The vet said.  Yes, Twist let everyone know he did not like being forced down to take his blood.  This week he gets his vaccinations.  I bet that's going to be a lot of fun for all of us.

By the way - he's still available for adoption!!!!  Tell everyone!

It is impossible for me to explain to Twist why vacccinations are good for him.  From his point of view, he is restrained, is injected with some stingy stuff, then let go.  Why should he put up with that?  It's for his protection - for the rest of his life!

I don't know about you, but I'm the same way.  I do not like to feel trapped in my circumstances.  I like to do things my way, and generally avoid anything that's going to cause too much discomfort.  If I change my perspective and regard every circumstance - good and bad - that I experience as something from God's hand, for my own spiritual growth, then maybe I could sit still.

It's not easy.  Maybe that difficult thing is for my benefit.  Maybe I should stop complaining so loudly.

What about you?  How hard do you avoid discomfort, when it could be for your own good?  Perhaps it is even for your protection - for the rest of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment