Monday, June 3, 2013

Nappus Interruptus

Sunday afternoons are good for naps.  That was my big plan yesterday.  As I readied my nest and got all cozy, two of my friend's dogs who were in the house decided to bug me.  After much whining and fending off their insistence that they sit on me while I napped, they settled down.  That lasted about twenty seconds when a cat entered the room and then it was GAME ON as the cat carefully navigated to lay on my stomach, tormenting the dogs in the mean time.  How I did not end up with severe injury on my belly is a miracle.
Needless to say, I did not get my nap.

"The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath."  What exactly does that mean?  I thought about this as I was busy not napping.  If man were made for the sabbath, that implies that all the "rules" of that day dictated man's behavior.  When God designed a day of rest it was to be a GIFT to man - a day to recuperate, a day unlike the rest of the week, a special day. 

But don't we make that our "catch-up" day?  Does it often feel just like any other day?  It's a gift we don't open, much to our detriment.

This week, plan your rest.  Plan your Sunday now to be one that is special and restful. If Sunday is a work day for you, what other day can you make your day of rest?

Do you have a special routine on Sundays?  What do you need to put in lower priority to make it a true sabbath?

No comments:

Post a Comment