Monday, July 12, 2010

Adjusting at the Kennel


From couch to concrete, the kennel adjustment for dogs can be quick, or it can take some time. After twelve years of watching dogs, I'm amazed that "quicker" is the more likely scenario. Simply put, if the dog feels secure, has food, water, and attention, they are happy, couch or no couch.

What does it take to make you feel secure? Is it your car? Television? Facebook page? How enduring are those?

Perhaps if you are away, you take out your phone and look at a picture of the people you care about (or dog). One thing I recommend to owners leaving their dog at the kennel for the first time is to bring something familiar with home. The familiar smell comforts a nervous dog.

I wish I could make adjustments to stark changes as easily. Living a simple life, even little changes seem to jar me on occasion. Perhaps I need to take a lesson from the dogs. There's still food on the table and love abounding. What more do I need?

No comments:

Post a Comment