Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Tuesday Training Tip

This is Tilly (hi Tilly!)

Tilly is not allowed on the couch (get off the couch, Tilly!).

It's important to be a little smarter than your dog. I'm a little smarter than Foster. However, I think Tilly is a little smarter than me.

A sad admission.

It begins when I go outside, the two dogs enthusiastically following. After all, exciting things happen Outside! While trying to dig a hole to plant a new perennial, the dogs bring their plastic ball dog toys for me to kick. I try to ignore them. Foster accepts this.

Tilly does not.

She places the ball a little closer to me. Surely I must not see the ball or of course I'd kick it for her. I ignore her. She moves the ball to the exact place where I am digging. I can't ignore her any longer. She knows I must now make a choice - kick it or move it (which can also be exciting). I calmly moved it out of my way. She has my attention - she wins! But since I am not kicking it, she might run off and do something like eat cat scat or roll in something dead. This results in me shrieking at her. Again, she has my attention - she wins! Usually, I'll kick the ball since I don't want her to eat or roll in repulsive items.

If she doesn't run off, she will start chewing at the plastic ball dog toy. This also makes me shriek as these are expensive! She has my attention - she wins! I kick the ball so she will stop chewing at it.

Like I said, she has figured out a way to control and manipulate me. It's embarrassing. I should be smarter than her. Or maybe I just need to stop shrieking.

Fortunately, this is the only area in which I let Tilly win. Ultimately, I could not let her win by keeping her in the house and eliminating the game altogether.

One must choose one's battles.

It's a good idea to examine where your dog may be getting one over on you.

It's a good idea to consider where you might be getting one over on someone else. Or, is someone getting one over on you?

One must choose one's battles. However, if you can reduce the shrieking in your life, do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment