Friday, July 9, 2010

All the Comforts of Home...at a Kennel?



This is Millie. This picture was not taken at the kennel, but in the comfort of her own home (hi Beth!). Millie is a constant surprise to me. When she arrives, she looks at her owner with "are you kidding me?" in her eyes. She refuses to make eye contact with me for the first day. This improves the next day to a look of disdain.

It's sort of like Martha Stewart Goes to Prison. She just can't accept that she's here...with....dogs (shudder!).

But, by the end of her stay, Millie is bringing me toys to play, acting coy and wagging her tail. Of course, once her owners return (hi Beth!), I'm chopped liver - it's back to disdain and ignoring me.

And that is how it should be.

Home and your people - there's not substitute for the real thing. I can do my best, but really I'm just a stand in. I'm okay with that. When I long for a real and tangible love, I don't want a disappointing substitute - I want what's real.

No comments:

Post a Comment