Wednesday, May 4, 2011

If Dogs Could Laugh

If dogs had thumbs, they'd open the refrigerator and stare at the contents longer than I do. If dogs could laugh, Tilly would spend most of her waking moments in a fit of giggles.

Just look at her.
Silly Tilly.

The other morning as I was waking up, I heard her roll over on her dog bed and it made a funny noise. I opened my eyes and she was looking at it with ears back. I started to laugh. She wagged her tail at me. It made me think that if she could, she would giggle.

In fact, she would laugh at just about everything. When she finds her favorite ball outside, she pounces on it with great enthusiasm (it is called a Jolly Ball after all). When I come home, she grabs the nearest toy or bone and runs around the house in happy celebration. She constantly coaxes Foster into playing by jabbing him in the ear. While she may not always be so endearing by these behaviors, there's no doubt she's a happy dog.

Here she is with her Kooky Chicken (from the Kooky Chicken Swim Party Collection).
Can't you hear the giggles?

Wouldn't it be nice to always be so carefree? Why aren't we? Yes, there are always complications in our lives. Picking up the morning paper or listening to the news is enough to make one, well, kooky. But there must be a bigger picture.

This morning I heard that in order for us to give we must first feel loved and free. God loves us, and certainly he has rid us of the bondage of sin, the guilt of messing up, and our less-than-perfect selves. We are free! We can give and love without fear.

When do people laugh? In response to something that is funny, right? Yes, but before one can laugh, they must feel safe. Laughter abounds when one is free.

No comments:

Post a Comment