Monday, May 30, 2011

Why We Need to Remember

On Memorial Day, we take to time to remember and appreciate the veterans who fought in wars to protect the rights we enjoy in our country. Why is this important? Our freedom came at a price, one that most of us didn't have to pay but get to enjoy.

I don't know about you, but when I have a cold, I forget what it's like to be healthy. When I'm going through a difficult time, I forget what it was like during the "easy" days. When I'm mad at God, I forget that everything that happens is for His glory and not my own personal happiness and that God is, indeed, good.

The Israelites complained to Moses when they were in the desert. There, God provided manna for them every day. But, they couldn't collect it and save it for later. They wanted to go back to Egypt, where they enjoyed different kinds of food. They seemed to forget that they were enslaved in Egypt, and had to depend on the generosity of their masters for food. Often, they only received scraps. But oh, that one steak they got - that seemed to trump the gruel. They didn't appreciate the daily provision that came miraculously from God every morning.
In other words, our memories are not very good. To my detriment, I want to eat chocolate every day, like I forgot what it tasted like yesterday. Like they may stop making it or something.

Trust is a hard thing. Remembering with accuracy helps build our trust, which builds our faith. It's not an easy thing. Stopping to remember is an important component of enjoying the freedom God gives us, and the meaningful sacrifice that provided us with that freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment