Monday, October 25, 2010

Out for a Walk

Here are Foster, Riley, and Matilda (hi guys!).

Sometimes just taking a walk can become a challenge. Lately, I've found myself walking more than just my two dogs, adding another from the kennel in need of exercise. Only some dogs are patient enough to walk with my two. And I'm only patient with walking some dogs together. My arm can extend only so far.

Right now, I'm planning a 5k for Hardin County Hospice (November 6 - come join us!). The only qualification for me doing so is that I've participated in a few before. Oh, and it was my idea. Fortunately, I've had a lot of help that has put me forward as opposed to spinning in circles.

Publicity has emphasized how the 5k is for walking and running. Some people love a competitive race (not that I know any of these people). Others like a brisk walk. There are people who are thankful they can get up and out of bed under their own power.

We all have our different levels of capability. We should be thankful for whatever level we may have on this day. If you are strong, rejoice in your strength and energy. If you are struggling with health issues, you can be glad you even opened your eyes this morning (I know sometimes even that is a challenge).

Today has something in store for you. It's not always easy to see what that is - it takes some digging, some careful thought. Unlike me, who can only handle so much at one time, the Lord can extend his hand to you, in whatever circumstance you are. That is reason alone for rejoicing. He cares for you and will care for you. Reach out your own hand back.

Have you done any 5ks? Did you like it? (do you have any tips?!) How many dogs have you walked at once? What's the best reason for getting out of bed in the morning (besides breakfast, though that's at the top of my list)?

3 comments: