Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Games Dogs Play

Those Goldens are Mary and Luke (hi Mary and Luke!). The black and white blur is Tilly.

Tilly, unlike Foster, likes other dogs and often stands at the end cage waiting for some interesting ones who will engage in her favorite game. Some dogs ignore her, others find her annoying (not unlike myself). But every now and then, as in the case of Mary and Luke, she found not one but two dogs who enjoyed racing the length of the outside pens, turning on a dime, and barking all the way as they race to the other end.

It is a game that has no appeal to me. I'm glad she enjoys it and makes life more fun for the dogs staying in the kennel. I suppose Tilly is sort of like the floor show.

When I was in college, one of my roommates turned her nose up at the suggestion of playing a board game. She'd say, "Board games are for the bored." Obviously, she long forgot our marathon sessions of Pictionary. I hope now she's learned that Apples to Apples is not just an amusement, but a creative exercise of the mind as well as a delightful social exchange. Wow, that sort of sounds like I'm the PR person for Parker Brothers.

Then there is dancing. Once you're out of college, one doesn't have the chance to do much dancing (unless you're part of the Jersey Shore hook-up culture). Sure, there's the living room, but it's not the same. Fortunately, there's zumba.

"Play" is extremely important to people as well as dogs. People tend to work pretty hard (many of us to put food on the table...for our dogs). We don't take enough time to spend with other people and just enjoy them.

I resist community. A couple winters ago, I proudly numbered seven "stay-at-home-days" in a row, involving very little human contact. I still recall those days of solitude with much happiness. However, if I did that often, I'd probably become a bit of a freak (or freakier, no comments on that, please). I have to force myself to be in community with others. When I do, it's always better. Even people who are tough to be around can shape us to become better individuals if we allow ourselves to be transformed.

Or, we can stay in our little gerbil balls, knocking into others' bubbles unaffected, but stuck in the gerbil ball.

Excuse me, I need to go throw the ball for Tilly.

What games does your dog like? Have you played Apples to Apples (Mary Kate and Ashley)? Where do you experience your best community?

2 comments:

  1. Is this a good ice breaker question or just a sign of freakishness: Which Monopoly piece is your favorite? I like the iron. It appeals to my inherent domesticity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like the schnauzer dog piece. thanks for asking. and i love the mary kate and ashley card in apples to apples. hmmm. garbo likes balloon volleyball and lucy likes taking toys from garbo. that's about it.

    ReplyDelete