Monday, March 25, 2013

When Dogs Attack (the trash)

Yesterday morning when I came home from church, there was trash all over the floor in the kitchen.  Specifically, it was trash from my take-out meal the night before, which was a full rack of ribs (don't judge me, heehee).  This was odd since there is a baby lock on the door that holds the trash.  Yet Tilly found a way to move it juuuuust enough to get in and extract her prize.
Of course I was upset she broke into the trash and made a mess.  Of course I was upset that she was possibly setting me up for an emergency vet visit.  Of course I was upset that she woke me up twice to make necessary trips outside in the middle of the (snowy) night.

Mostly though, I was upset that she reminded me of, well, me.  Despite all the knowledge and intellect, I still do things I should not do (like eat the whole rack of ribs, minus the bones).  Yet I plow through the barriers and keep on going. Self-control and impulse control have been particularly difficult for me lately.  Perhaps it is the long winter.  Perhaps it is just me and my nature.  Maybe it's yours too.

It's frustrating when I feel helpless and discouraged.  Instead of strengthening my resolve to do better, instead I cave and tend to make more of a mess of things.  Eventually, I remember that I am powerless so often to do what is good and right.  The only way I can avail myself of any discipline is to call upon the name of the Lord.  As odd as it may seem, his indwelling Holy Spirit enables me to do what I can not do in my own human power when it is within his will for it to be done.  Whether it is a matter of avoiding the chocolate peanut butter snack or offering hope to a hopeless person, I need to seek the strength of the Almighty God.

7 comments:

  1. Assuming and hoping Tilly is fine...apart from the bouts of intestinal distress...in the middle of the night....in the cold...in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly - I was adding up all my irritation...though I was glad we didn't have to go the emergency vet.

      Delete
  2. There is a whole lot of me in this story. If I can use your "instead I cave and tend to make more of a mess of things" statement . . then you have just described my like in a nutshell.
    I hope Tilly is doing okay. I am glad she was able to make it "outside" in the night, better than the alternative. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Melissa - I fully expected to wake up to a mess in the morning. I'm perfectly capable of making my own messes!

      Delete
  3. Oh I relate to this so well! I have sabotaged myself so badly and I actually had that talk with God yesterday!! Hope Tilly the Trash monger is better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we don't realize we've sabotaged ourselves, but usually I'm totally aware of "this isn't a good idea but I'm doing it anyway."

      Delete