Monday, August 16, 2010

Supper Time!


When I was a kid, I loved to read Charlie Brown comics. I just loved Snoopy (still do). My room even had a Snoopy motif (no, I don't still have that. Ok, maybe a few select items). My favorite Snoopy moments were when Charlie Brown would bring out Snoopy's dinner and Snoopy would dance, his feet all a'whirl, with the little balloon over his head screaming, "Supper Time!"

The above picture is of Ruby (hi Ruby!). Ruby LOVES to eat. When I let her out in the morning, she will not go to the bathroom, because she knows it's time to eat. I've learned I need to feed her first, then let her out to do her morning constitutional. She eats in a fast flurry of food consumption. She eats with both abandon and enthusiasm.

Sadly, I can totally relate to Ruby. Though I do tend to other matters before I get to the business of eating, I LOVE food and eat with both abandon and enthusiasm. Sometimes, it's all I can think about. Most of these times, I should be focused on something else, but instead I focus on food.

That's not good. My focus borders on gluttony. It distracts me from what's more important. Being a slave to my stomach is no way to be. I've also realized I can't do it alone.

God says that in our weaknesses, He becomes strong. Certainly, my willpower is not sufficient. Sometimes, we think God is only useful for the "big stuff" of salvation, or big ticket item prayer requests. But He cares about it all, even my concerns about food. What's a challenge for me, but easy for Him. I just need to remember to ask. He's just waiting to help in my weakness.

And, in case you were wondering, I did write this after breakfast. It's the most important meal of the day, you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment