Thursday, September 16, 2010

In Praise of the Senior Canine


A couple of days ago, I told you about Wilson, and the great sadness that he has passed on. Look at that face! That's dignity.

Some people go crazy for puppies. While they have their charm, I really prefer the face of the older dog. I think about how that dog has grown with its family, seeing them through tough times and good ones. When they leave us, it's like losing that part of our life as well.

My dog Foster is over 10 years old and losing his eyesight. He is one of the last pets I have who was around when my husband Darren was still alive. When Foster passes on, it will be with extra sadness for the memories made during the entire span that he lived with me.

Dogs are temporary and that's a heart breaker. But they point us to God, whose love is much greater, whose presence is much more steadfast, and whose understanding of us is profound. We lose our pets. Our jobs are difficult. Our families and friends disappoint us. But God never fails us. Love never fails.

No comments:

Post a Comment